Restored English Translation of Genesis: Chapter 27

Here is my Restored English Translation (RET) of Beresheet (Genesis) chapter 27.  As usual, it contains the Hebrew names, with a glossary of them afterwards.  At the end is a list of where the Aleph-Tavs occur, as they are no longer included in the main text.

CHAPTER 27

1 And it was that when Yitschak was old and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see, that he called his eldest son Esav and said to him, “My son!” And he said to him, “Here I am.” 2 And he said, “Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death. 3 Now take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and catch me some game. 4 And make me delicacies, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless you before I die.” 5 And Rivkah heard when Yitschak spoke to his son Esav. And Esav went to the field to hunt game to bring in. 6 And Rivkah spoke to her son Ya’akov, saying, “Behold, I heard your father speak to your brother Esav, saying, 7 ‘Bring me game and make me delicacies, that I may eat, and bless you before YEHOVAH before my death.’ 8 And now, my son, obey my voice, that which I command you. 9 Go now to the flock and fetch me from there two good kids of the goats, and I will make them into delicacies for your father, such as he loves. 10 And you will bring it to your father and let him eat eat, so that he may bless you before his death.” 11 And Ya’akov said to his mother Rivkah, “Behold, my brother Esav is a hairy man, and I am a smooth man. 12 Perhaps my father will feel me, and I shall seem to him as a deceiver, and I shall bring a curse on me, and not a blessing.” 13 And his mother said to him, “Your curse be on me be, my son. Only obey my voice, and go fetch me them.” 14 And he went and fetched, and brought them to his mother. And his mother made delicacies, such as his father loved. 15 And Rivkah took the clothes of her eldest son Esav, the costly ones which were with her in the house. And she clothed Ya’akov her younger son. 16 And she put the skins of the kids of the goats on his hands and on the smooth of his neck. 17 And she gave the delicacies and the bread which she had prepared into the hand of her son Ya’akov. 18 And he came to his father and said, “My father.” And he answered, “Here I am. Who are you, my son?” 19 And Ya’akov said to his father, “I am your firstborn Esav. I have done as you said to me. Please rise, sit and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me.” 20 And Yitschak said to his son, “How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?” And he answered, “Because YEHOVAH ELOHAYKA brought it to me.” 21 And Yitschak said to Ya’akov, “Please come near, that I may feel you, my son, whether then you are my son Esav or not.” 22 And Ya’akov went near to his father Yitschak, and he felt him. And he said, “The voice is Ya’akov’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esav.” 23 And he did not recognise him, because his hands were hairy, as his brother Esav’s hands. So he blessed him. 24 And he said, “Are you then my son Esav?” And he answered, “I am.” 25 And he said, “Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son’s game, that my soul may bless you.” And he brought it near to him, and he ate. And he brought him wine, and he drank. 26 And his father Yitschak said to him, “Come near now, and kiss me, my son.” 27 And he came near and kissed him. And he smelled the smell of his clothes, and blessed him, and said, “See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which YEHOVAH has blessed. 28 And may The ELOHIM give you of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of grain and wine. 29 May nations serve you and peoples bow down to you. Be master over your brothers, and let your mother’s sons bow down to you. Cursed be every one that curses you, and blessed be he that blesses you.” 30 And it was, as soon as Yitschak had made an end of blessing Ya’akov, and Ya’akov had hardly left the presence of his father Yitschak, that his brother Esav came in from his hunting. 31 And he also had made delicacies and brought them to his father. And said to his father, “Let my father rise and eat of his son’s game, that your soul may bless me.” 32 And his father Yitschak said to him, “Who are you?” And he said, “I am your son, your firstborn Esav.” 33 And Yitschak trembled with a great terror and said, “Who was he that hunted game, and brought it to me? And I have eaten of all before you came, and have blessed him?” Yes, he shall be blessed.” 34 When Esav heard the words of his father, he cried with a great and very bitter cry, and said to his father, “Bless me, me also, my father.” 35 And he said, “Your brother came with deceit and took your blessing.” 36 And he said, “Is he not rightly named Ya’akov? For he has supplanted me these two times. He took my birthright, and behold, now he has taken away my blessing.” And he said, “Haven’t you reserved a blessing for me?” 37 And Yitschak answered and said to Esav, “Behold, I have made him your master, and I have given to him all his brothers for servants, and I have sustained with corn and wine. And what shall I do now to you, my son?” 38 And Esav said to his father, “Have you but one blessing, my father? Bless me, even me also, my father.” And Esav lifted up his voice and wept. 39 And his father Yitschak answered and said to him, “Behold, your dwelling shall be the fatness of the earth, and of the dew of the heavens from above; 40 and by your sword you will live, and you will serve your brother. And it will be when you will have the dominion, that you will break his yoke from off your neck.” 41 And Esav hated Ya’akov because of the blessing with which his father had blessed him. And Esav said in his heart, “The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then I will kill my brother Ya’akov.” 42 And the words of her elder son Esav were told to Rivkah. And she sent and called her younger son Ya’akov and said to him, “Behold, your brother Esav does comfort himself about you, purposing to kill you. 43 And now, my son, obey my voice, and rise, flee for yourself to my brother Lavan, to Charan. 44 And stay with him a few days, until your brother’s anger turn away; 45 until your brother’s anger turn away from you, and he forgets that which you have done to him. Then I will send and fetch you from there. Why should I be deprived also of you both in one day?” 46 And Rivkah said to Yitschak, “I am weary of my life because of the Chitti women. If Ya’akov take a wife of the Chitti women, such as these who are of the daughters of the land, what good shall my life do me?”
Glossary
Yitschak – Isaac
Esav – Esau
Rivkah – Rebecca
Ya’akov – Jacob
YEHOVAH – The Lord
YEHOVAH ELOHAYKA – The Lord your God
The ELOHIM – The God
Lavan – Laban
Charan – Haran
Chitti – Hittite
Where the Aleph-Tavs occur
Verse 1: And it was that when Yitschak was old, and his eyes were dim, so that he could not see, that he called את Esav his eldest son, and said to him, “My son!” And he said to him, “Here I am.”
Verse 6: And Rivkah spoke to her son Ya’akov, saying, “Behold, I heard את your father speak to your brother Esav, saying,
Verse 15: And took Rivkah את the clothes of her eldest son Esav, the costly ones which were with her in the house. And she clothed את Ya’akov on her younger son.
Verse 17: And she gave את the delicacies and את the bread which she had prepared into the hand of her son Ya’akov.
Verse 27: And he came near and kissed him. And he smelled את the smell of his clothes, and blessed him, and said, “See, the smell of my son is as the smell of a field which YEHOVAH has blessed.
Verse 30: And it was, as soon as Yitschak had made an end of blessing את Ya’akov, and Ya’akov had hardly left the presence of his father Yitschak, that his brother Esav came in from his hunting.
Verse 34: When heard Esav את the words of his father, he cried with a great and very bitter cry, and said to his father, “Bless me, me also, my father.”
Verse 36: And he said, “Is he not rightly named Ya’akov? For he has supplanted me these two times. את my birthright he took, and behold, now he has taken away my blessing.” And he said, “Haven’t you reserved a blessing for me?”
Verse 38: And Yitschak answered and said to Esav, “Behold, I have made him your master, and את all his brothers I have given to him for servants, and I have sustained with corn and wine. And what shall I do now to you, my son?”
Verse 40: and by your sword you will live, and את your brother you will serve. And it will be when you will have the dominion, that you will break his yoke from off your neck.”
Verse 41: And hated Esav את Ya’akov because of the blessing with which his father had blessed him. And Esav said in his heart, “The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay את Ya’akov my brother.”
Verse 42: And were told to Rivkah את the words of her elder son Esav. And she sent and called her younger son Ya’akov and said to him, “Behold, your brother Esav does comfort himself about you, purposing to kill you.
Verse 45: until your brother’s anger turn away from you, and he forgets את that which you have done to him. Then I will send and fetch you from there. Why should I be deprived also of you both in one day?”
[P.S. My Dad was hospitalised this evening due to some sort of bladder infection.  Please keep him in your prayers.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

KJV Only?

The Revelation of the Aleph Tav