Restored English Translation of Genesis: Chapter 20

G’day, and welcome to another installment of the Restored English Translation (RET) of the Bible, which I am working on.  Today, I present Beresheet (Genesis) chapter 20.  As usual, it contains the Hebrew names, with a glossary of them afterwards.  At the very end is a list of where the Aleph Tavs occur, as they are no longer included in the main text.
(P.S. Please pray for my dad, Merv, who recently had a stroke and is very sick.)

CHAPTER 20
1 And Avraham journeyed from there toward the country of the Negev, and lived between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar. 2 And Avraham said of his wife Sarai, “She is my sister.” And Avimelek, King of Gerar, sent and took Sarah. 3 But ELOHIM came to Avimelek in a dream by night and said to him, “Behold, you are about to die for the woman whom you have taken, for she is a man’s wife.” 4 But Avimelek had not come near her; and he said, “YEHOVAH, will You even slay a righteous nation? 5 Did he not tell me, ‘She is my sister’? And she, even she herself said, ‘He is my brother.’ I have done this in the integrity of my heart and the purity of my hands.” 6 And ELOHIM said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know that you did this in the integrity of your heart, for I also withheld you from sinning against Me. Therefore I did not allow you to touch her. 7 Now therefore restore the man’s wife, for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for you, and you will live. And if you don’t restore her, know that you will surely die, you and all that are yours.” 8 Therefore Avimelek rose early in the morning and called all his servants and spoke all these words in their ears; and the men were greatly afraid. 9 Then Avimelek called Avraham and said to him, “What have you done to us? And in what have I offended you that you have brought a great sin on me and my kingdom? You have done deeds to me that should not be done.” 10 And Avimelek said to Avraham, “What did you see, that you have done this thing?” 11 And Avraham said, “Because I thought, ‘Surely the fear of ELOHIM is not in this place, and they will kill me for my wife’s sake.’ 12 And yet she is indeed my sister, the daughter of my father, only not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife. 13 And it happened when ELOHIM caused me to wander from my father’s house that I said to her, ‘This is your kindndess which you will show to me: at every place where we shall come you shall say of me, “He is my brother.”‘” 14 And Avimelek took sheep and oxen and male servants and female slaves and gave them to Avraham, and restored to him Sarah his wife. 15 And Avimelek said, “Behold, my land is before you. Live where it pleases you.” 16 And to Sarah he said, “Behold, I have given your brother 1,000 pieces of silver. Behold, he is to you a covering of the eyes, to all that are with you, and with all this you are justified.” 17 So Avraham prayed to The ELOHIM, and ELOHIM healed Avimelek and his wife and his concubines, and they gave birth. 18 For YEHOVAH closed up every womb of the house of Avimelek because of Avraham’s wife Sarah.
Glossary
Avraham – Abraham
Avimelek – Abimelech
ELOHIM – God
Where the Aleph Tavs occur
Verse 2: And Avraham said of Sarai his wife, “She is my sister.” And Avimelek, King of Gerar, sent and took את Sarah.
Verse 5: Did he not tell me, ‘She is my sister’? And she, even she herself said, ‘He is my brother.’ In the integrity of my heart and the purity of my hands I have done את this.”
Verse 8: Therefore Avimelek rose early in the morning and called all his servants and spoke את all these words in their ears; and the men were greatly afraid.
Verse 10: And Avimelek said to Avraham, “What did you see, that you have done את thing this?”
Verse 14: And Avimelek took sheep and oxen and male servants and female slaves and gave them to Avraham, and restored to him את Sarah his wife.
Verse 16: And to Sarah he said, “Behold, I have given your brother 1,000 pieces of silver. Behold, he is to you a covering of the eyes, to all that are with you, and with את all this you are justified.”
Verse 17: So Avraham prayed to The ELOHIM, and healed ELOHIM את Avimelek and את his wife and his concubines, and they gave birth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

KJV Only?

The Revelation of the Aleph Tav