Restored English Translation of Genesis: Chapter 18


G’day, mates!  This is my Restored English Translation of Beresheet (Genesis) chapter 18.  As usual, it contains the Hebrew names, with a glossary of them afterwards.  In another list at the end are the Aleph-Tavs (which are no longer included in the main text).
There is some controversy over the  last part of verse 22.  The Masoretic Text – the basis for most translations – reads “and Abraham stood yet before YEHOVAH”.  However, the Massorah – footnotes on the text by the Masoretic scribes – claims that the text originally read “and YEHOVAH stood yet before Abraham”, but that they changed it because they judged the original “irreverent”.  However, the Dead Sea Scrolls, Samaritan Pentateuch, Aramaic Peshitta and Greek Septuagint all agree with the Masoretic reading (“Abraham stood yet before YEHOVAH”), and there are literally no manuscripts supporting the Massorah’s reading, so I have followed the majority here.
CHAPTER 18
1 And YEHOVAH appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre. And he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day. 2 And he lifted up his eyes and looked; and behold, three men were standing by him. And he saw them and he ran from the tent door to meet them, and he bowed to the ground. 3 And he said, “YEHOVAH, if I have now found favour in Your sight, please do not pass away from Your servant. 4 Please let a little water be fetched, and wash Your feet and rest Yourselves under the tree. 5 And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort Your hearts. Then you may pass on, for this is why You have come to Your servant.” And they replied, “Do so as you have said.” 6 And Avraham ran into Sarah’s tent and said, “Quickly make ready three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make three cakes on the hearth.” 7 And Avraham ran into the herd and fetched a tender and good son of the herd and gave it to a youth; and he hurried to prepare it. 8 And he took cheese, and milk, and the son of the herd which he had dressed, and set it before Them. And he stood by Them under the tree, and They ate. 9 And They said to him, “Where is your wife Sarah?” And he replied, “Behold, in the tent.” 10 And He said, “I will certainly return to you according to the time of life. And behold, a son will be to Sarah your wife.” And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him. 11 Now Avraham and Sarah were old, going on in days. The custom as to women had ceased to be with Sarah. 12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, “After becoming old will I have pleasure, my master being old as well?” 13 And YEHOVAH said to Avraham, “Why did Sarah laugh at this, saying, ‘Indeed, truly shall I bear when I am old?’ 14 Is anything too hard for YEHOVAH? At the time appointed I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.” 15 Then Sarah denied, saying, “I did not laugh,” because she was afraid. And He said, “No, but you did laugh.” 16 And the Men rose up from there and looked toward the face of Sedom. And Avraham went with them to bring them on the way. 17 And YEHOVAH said, “Shall I hide from Avraham that which I am doing? 18 And Avraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him. 19 For I know him, that he will command his sons and his household after him, and they shall guard the Way of YEHOVAH to do justice and judgement, that YEHOVAH may bring on Avraham that which He has spoken of him.” 20 And YEHOVAH said, “Because the cry of Sedom and Amorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous, 21 I will go down now and see whether they have done according to the cry of it, which has come to Me. And if not, I will know.” 22 And the men turned their faces from there and went to Sedom; but Avraham stood yet before YEHOVAH. 23 And Avraham drew near and said, “Is it so, will You also destroy the righteous with the wicked? 24 Perhaps there are 50 righteous within the city; will You also destroy and not spare the place for the 50 righteous that are there? 25 Far be it from You to act this way, to kill the righteous with the wicked, and treat the righteous as with the wicked. Far be it from You. Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?” 26 And YEHOVAH said, “If I find 50 righteous within the city of Sedom, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.” 27 And Avraham answered and said, “Behold now, I have undertaken to speak to YEHOVAH, I who am dust and ashes. 28 Perhaps there will lack 5 of the 50 righteous. Will You destroy all the city for the five?” And He said, “If I find 45 there, I will not destroy it.” 29 And he spoke to Him again and said, “Perhaps there shall be 40 found there.” And He answered, “I will not do it for 40’s sake.” 30 And he said, “Please do not be angry with me, YEHOVAH, and I will speak. Perhaps there will be 30 found there.” And He said, “I will not do it if I find 30 there.” 31 And he said, “Behold now, I have undertaken to speak to YEHOVAH. Perhaps there will be 20 found there.” And He said, “I will not destroy it for 20’s sake.” 32 And he said, “Please, YEHOVAH, don’t be angry, and I will speak once more. Perhaps 10 will be found there.” And He said, “I will not destroy it for 10’s sake.” 33 And YEHOVAH went His way, as soon as He had finished speaking with Avraham. And Avraham returned to his place.
Glossary
YEHOVAH – The Lord (often anglicised as “Jehovah”, which is almost right)
Avraham – Abraham
Sedom – Sodom
Amorrah – Gomorrah
Where the Aleph-Tavs occur
Verse 19: For I know him, that he will command את his sons and את his household after him, and they shall guard the Way of YEHOVAH to do justice and judgement, that YEHOVAH may bring on Avraham את that which He has spoken of him.”
Verse 28: Perhaps there will lack 5 of the 50 righteous. Will You destroy for the five את all the city?” And He said, “If I find 45 there, I will not destroy it.”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

KJV Only?

The Revelation of the Aleph Tav