Restored English Translation of Genesis: Chapter 44

I'm almost finished Genesis!  Today I present my Restored English Translation (RET) of Beresheet (Genesis) chapter 44.  Contained (as usual) are the Hebrew names, with a glossary of them after the chapter.  At the end is a list of where the Aleph Tavs occur, as they are no longer included in the main text.

CHAPTER 44

1 And he commanded him who was over his house, saying, "Fill the men's sacks with food, as much as they can carry, and put each man's silver in the mouth of his sack. 2 And put my cup, the silver cup, in the mouth of the sack of the youngest, and the silver." And he did according to the word that Yosef had spoken. 3 At the morning light, the men were sent away, they and their donkeys. 4 They had left the city, not far off, when Yosef said to the one over his house, "Up, follow after the men and overtake them, and say to them, 'Why have you rewarded evil for good? 5 Is this not what my master drinks, and by which he truly divines? You have done evil in what you have done.'" 6 And he overtook them and spoke these words to them. 7 And they said to him, "Why has my master said these words? Far be it from your servants to do according to this word. 8 Behold, the silver, which we found in our sacks' mouths, we returned to you out of the land of Kena'an. How should we steal silver or gold out of your master's house? 9 With whomever of your servants it is found, he will die, and we also will be my master's servants." 10 And he said, "Now also let it be according to your words; he with whom it is found will be my servant, and you will be blameless." 11 Then they each speedily lowered his sack to the earth, and every man opened his sack. 12 And he searched, beginning with the eldest and finishing with the youngest. And the cup was found in Binyamin's sack. 13 Then they tore their clothes, and every man loaded his donkey and returned to the city. 14 And Yehudah and his brothers came to Yosef's house, for he was still there. And they fell before him to the earth. 15 And Yosef said to them, "What deed is this that you have done? Did you not that a man who is like me would certainly divine?" 16 And Yehudah said, "What will we say to my master? What will we speak? Or how will we justify ourselves? The ELOHIM has found the iniquity of your servants. Behold, we are my master's servants, both we and he in whose hand the cup was found." 17 And he said, "Far be it from me to do this.  The man in whose hand the cup is found, he will be a servant to me. And you go up in peace to your father."
18 Then Yehudah approached him and said, "Oh my master, please let your servant speak a word in my master's ears, and do not let your anger glow against your servant; for you are like Pharaoh. 19 My master asked his servants, saying, 'Do you have a father or a brother?' 20 And we said to my master, 'We have a father, an old man, and a child of his old age, little; and his brother is dead, and he alone is left of his mother, and his father loves him.' 21 And you said to your servants, 'Bring him down to me, that I may set my eyes on him.' 22 And we said to my master, 'The boy cannot leave his father. For if he should leave his father, he would die.' 23 And you said to your servants, 'If your youngest brother does not come down with you, you will not see my face again.' 24 And it was when we came up to your servant my father, we told him my master's words. 25 And our father said, 'Return and buy us a little food.' 26 And we said, 'We cannot go down. If our youngest brother is with us, then we will go down; for we may not see the man's face if our youngest brother is not with us.' 27 And your servant my father said to us, 'You know that my wife bore two sons to me. 28 And the one went out from me. And I said, "Surely torn he is torn in pieces," and I have not seen him since then. 29  And if you also take this one from my face, and bring harm to him, you will bring my grey hair to Sheol in sorrow.' 30 And now when I come to your servant my father, and the boy is not with us, and his soul being bound to his soul; 31 it will be, when he sees that the boy is not, he will die. And your servants will bring the grey hair of your servant our father in sorrow to Sheol. 32 For your servant was surety for the boy with my father, saying, 'If I do not bring him to you, then I will be a sinner to my father all the days.' 33 And now please let your servant stay instead of the boy, a servant to my master; and let the boy go up with his brothers. 34 For how will I go up to my father, and the boy not be with me? Lest I see the evil that will find my father."
Glossary
Yosef - Joseph
Kena'an - Canaan
Binyamin - Benjamin
Yehudah - Judah
ELOHIM - God
Sheol - the realm of the dead.
Where the Aleph Tavs occur
Verse 1: And he commanded him who was over his house, saying, "Fill את the sacks of the men with food, as much as they can carry, and put each man's silver in the mouth of his sack.
Verse 2: And את my cup, the silver cup, in the mouth of the sack of the youngest, and את the silver." And he did according to the word that Yosef had spoken.
Verse 4: They had left את the city, not far off, when Yosef said to the one over his house, "Up, follow after the men and overtake them, and say to them, 'Why have you rewarded evil for good?
Verse 6: And he overtook them and spoke to them את words these.
Verse 11: Then they speedily lowered each את his sack to the earth, and every man opened his sack.
Verse 16: And Yehudah said, "What will we say to my master? What will we speak? Or how will we justify ourselves? The ELOHIM has found את the iniquity of your servants. Behold, we are my master's servants, both we and he in whose hand the cup was found."
Verse 17: And he said, "Far be it from me to do this את. The man in whose hand the cup is found, he will be a servant to me. And you go up in peace to your father."
Verse 19: My master asked את his servants, saying, 'Do you have a father or a brother?'
Verse 22: And we said to my master, 'The boy cannot leave את his father. For if he should leave את his father, he would die.'
Verse 24: And it was when we came up to your servant my father, we told him את the words of my master.
Verse 29: And if you take also את this one from my face, and bring harm to him, you will bring את my grey hair in sorrow to Sheol.'
Verse 31: it will be, when he sees that the boy is not, he will die. And will bring your servants את the grey hair of your servant our father in sorrow to Sheol.
Verse 32: For your servant was surety את for the boy with my father, saying, 'If I do not bring him to you, then I will be a sinner to my father all the days.'
Verse 34: For how will I go up to my father, and the boy not be with me? Lest I see the evil that will find את my father."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

KJV Only?

The Revelation of the Aleph Tav