Restored English Translation of Genesis: Chapter 32

Here is my Restored English Translation (RET) of Beresheet (Genesis) chapter 32.  As usual, it contains the Hebrew names, with a glossary of them after the chapter.  At the end is a list of the Aleph-Tav occurrences (which are no longer included in the main text).
You may notice that this chapter has 33 verses, rather than the traditional 32; and that the previous chapter, Chapter 31, had 54 verses, rather than the traditional 55.  That is because the Jewish and Christian verse divisions differ as to whether "And Lavan rose up early in the morning and kissed his grandsons and his daughters, and blessed them. And Lavan left and returned to his place." is the 55th and last verse of chapter 31 or the 1st verse of chapter 32.  I have followed the Jewish numbering and placed it as the first verse of Chapter 32.
CHAPTER 32
1 And Lavan rose up early in the morning and kissed his grandsons and his daughters, and blessed them. And Lavan left and returned to his place. 2 And Ya'akov went on his way, and the messengers of ELOHIM met him. 3 And when Ya'akov saw them he said, "This is ELOHIM's host." And he called the name of that place Machanayim.
4 And Ya'akov sent messengers before him to his brother Esav, to the land of Seir, the country of Edom. 5 And he commanded them, saying, "You will speak this to my master, to Esav: 'Your servant Ya'akov says this, "I have sojourned with Lavan, and stayed there until now. 6 And I have oxen, and donkeys, flocks, and male servants, and female slaves. And I have sent to tell my master, that I may find grace in your sight."'" 7 And the messengers returned to Ya'akov, saying, "We came to your brother, to Esav, and he also comes to meet you, and 400 men with him." 8 Then Ya'akov was greatly afraid and distressed. And he divided the people that were with him, and the flocks, and the herds, and the camels, into two camps. 9 And he said, "If Esav comes to the one company, and strikes it, then the other company which is left will escape." 10 And Ya'akov said, "Oh ELOHAY of my father Avraham, and ELOHAY of my father Yitschak, YEHOVAH Who said to me, 'Return to your country, and to your kindred, and I will deal well with you'; 11 I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which You have showed your servant; for with my staff I passed over this Yarden, and now I have become two camps. 12 Please deliver me from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esav. For I fear him, lest he will come and strike me, and the mother with the children. 13 And You said, 'I will surely do you good, and I will make your seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.'" 14 And he stayed there that same night, and took a present for Esav his brother from that which came into his hand: 15 200 female goats, and 20 male goats, 200 ewes, and 20 rams, 16 30 milk camels with their colts, 40 cows, and 10 bulls, 20 female donkeys, and 10 foals. 17 And he delivered them into the hand of his servants, every drove by themselves, and said to his servants, "Pass over before me and put a space between drove and drove." 18 And he commanded those in front, saying, "When my brother Esav meets you and asks you, saying, 'Whose are you? And where do you go? And whose are these before you?' 19 Then you will say, 'They are your servant Ya'akov's. It is a present sent to my master Esav. And behold, he is also behind us.'" 20 And so he commanded the second, and the third, and all that followed the droves, saying, "On this manner you will speak to Esav, when you find him. 21 And you also say, 'Behold, your servant Ya'akov is behind us.'" For he said, "I will appease him with the present that goes before me, and afterward I will see his face. Perhaps he will accept my face." 22 So the present went over before him; and he stayed in the camp that night. 23 And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two slave girls, and his 11 sons, and crossed the ford Yabok. 24 And he took them and sent them over the river, and sent over all that he had. 25 And Ya'akov was left alone; and a Man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 26 And when He saw that He did not prevail against him, He touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Ya'akov's thigh was dislocated as he wrestled with Him. 27 And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks." And he answered, "I will not let You go, except You bless me." 28 And He said to him, "What is your name?" And he answered, "Ya'akov." 29 And He said, "Your name will no longer be called Ya'akov, but Yisra'el, because you have power with ELOHIM and with men, and have prevailed." 30 And Ya'akov asked Him and said, "Please tell me Your name." And he said, "Why is it that you ask after My name?" And He blessed him there. 31 And Ya'akov called the name of the place Peniel; "For I have seen ELOHIM face to face, and my life is preserved." 32 And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose on him, and he limped on his thigh. 33 Therefore the Yisra'elim do not eat the sinew of the thigh, which is on the hollow of the thigh, to this day; because He struck the hollow of Ya'akov's thigh in the sinew that shrank.
Glossary
Lavan - Laban
Ya'akov - Jacob
ELOHIM - God
Machanayim - Mahanaim, or Refuge
Esav - Esau
ELOHAY - God
Avraham - Abraham
Yitschak - Isaac
YEHOVAH - The Lord
Yarden - Jordan
Yabok - Jabbok
Yisra'el - Israel
Yisra'elim - Israelites
Where the Aleph-Tavs occur
Verse 8: Then Ya'akov was greatly afraid and distressed. And he divided את the people that were with him, and את the flocks, and את the herds, and the camels, into two camps.
Verse 11: I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which You have showed את your servant; for with my staff I passed over את Yarden this, and now I have become two camps.
Verse 13: And You said, 'I will surely do you good, and I will make את your seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.'"
Verse 18: And he commanded את those in front, saying, "When my brother Esav meets you and asks you, saying, 'Whose are you? And where do you go? And whose are these before you?'
Verse 20: And so he commanded את the second, and את the third, and את all that followed the droves, saying, "On this manner you will speak to Esav, when you find him.
Verse 23: And he rose up that night, and took את two wives his, and את two his maidservants, and את 11 his sons, and crossed את the ford Yabok.
Verse 24: And he took them, and sent them over את the river, and sent over את all that he had.
Verse 32: And as he passed over את Penuel the sun rose on him, and he limped on his thigh.
Verse 33: Therefore do not eat the Yisra'elim את the sinew of the thigh, which is on the hollow of the thigh, to this day; because He struck the hollow of Ya'akov's thigh in the sinew that shrank.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

KJV Only?

The Revelation of the Aleph Tav