Restored English Translation of Genesis: Chapter 30

Here is my Restored English Translation (RET) of Beresheet (Genesis) chapter 30.  As usual, it contains the Hebrew names, with a glossary of them after the chapter.  At the very end is a glossary of where the Aleph-Tavs occur, as they are no longer included in the main text.

CHAPTER 30

1 And when Rachel saw that she bore Ya’akov no children, Rachel envied her sister, and said to Ya’akov, “Give me children! And if there is none, I will die.” 2 And Ya’akov’s anger was kindled against Rachel. And he said, “Am I in ELOHIM’s place, Who has withheld from you the fruit of the womb?” 3 And she said, “Behold my maidservant Bilhah, go in to her. And she shall bear on my knees that I may also have children by her.” 4 And she gave to him her maidservant Bilhah for a wife. And Ya’akov went in to her. 5 And Bilhah conceived and bore a son to Ya’akov. 6 And Rachel said, “ELOHIM has judged and has also heard my voice, and has given me a son.” Therefore she called his name Dan. 7 And Rachel’s maid servant Bilhah conceived again and bore Ya’akov a second son. 8 And Rachel said, “With wrestlings of ELOHIM I have wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed.” And she called his name Naftali. 9 When Leah saw that she had left bearing, she took her maidservant Tsilpah, and gave her to Ya’akov for a wife. 10 And Leah’s maid servant Tsilpah bore Ya’akov a son. 11 And Leah said, “Fortune.” And she called his name Gad. 12 And Leah’s handmaid Tsilpah bore Ya’akov a second son. 13 And Leah said, “I am happy, for the daughters will call me blessed.” And she called his name Asher. 14 And Re’uven went in the days of wheat harvest, and found mandrakes in the field, and brought them to his mother Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, “Please give me of your son’s mandrakes.” 15 And she said to her, “Is it a small matter that you have taken my husband? And would you take away my son’s mandrakes also?” And Rachel said, “Therefore he will lie with you tonight for your son’s mandrakes.” 16 And Ya’akov came out of the field in the evening, and Leah went out to meet him and said, “You must come in to me, for surely I have hired you with my son’s mandrakes.” And he lay with her that night. 17 And ELOHIM listened to Leah, and she conceived and bore Ya’akov a 5th son. 18 And Leah said, “ELOHIM has given me my compensation, because I have given my maidservant to my husband.” And she called his name Yissakar. 19 And Leah conceived again and bore Ya’akov the 6th son. 20 And Leah said, “ELOHIM has given me with a good gift; now my husband will live with me, because I have born him 6 sons.” And she called his name Zevulun. 21 And afterwards she bore a daughter, and called her name Dinah. 22 And ELOHIM remembered Rachel, and ELOHIM listened to her, and opened her womb. 23 And she conceived and bore a son, and said, “ELOHIM has taken away my reproach.” 24 And she called his name Yosef, and said, “YEHOVAH will add to me another son.” 25 And it was when Rachel had born Yosef, that Ya’akov said to Lavan, “Send me away, that I may go to my own place, and to my country. 26 Give me my wives and my children, for whom I have served you, and let me go. For you know my service which I have done.” 27 And Lavan said to him, “Please, if I have found favour in your eyes, stay. For I have divined that YEHOVAH has blessed me for your sake.” 28 And he said, “Appoint me your wages, and I will give it.” 29 And he said to him, “You know how I have served you, and how your livestock was with me. 30 For it was little which you had before I came, and it is now increased to a multitude; and YEHOVAH has blessed you since my coming. And now when shall I provide for my own house also?” 31 And he said, “What will I give you?” And Ya’akov said, “You will not give me any thing. If you will do this thing for me, I will remain; I will feed and keep your flock. 32 I will pass through all your flock today, removing from them all the speckled and spotted sheep, and all the black sheep among the lambs, and the spotted and speckled among the goats. These will be my wages. 33 So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my wages before your face. Every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and black among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.” 34 And Lavan said, “Yes, it will truly be according to your word.” 35 And that day he removed the male goats that were striped and spotted, and all the female goats that were speckled and spotted, and every one that had some white in it, and all the black among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons. 36 And he set 3 days’ journey between himself and Ya’akov; and Ya’akov fed the flocks of Lavan remaining. 37 And Ya’akov took for himself rods of green poplar, and of the almond and plane tree, and pealed white stripes in them, and made the white which was in the rods appear. 38 And he set the rods which he had pealed before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs when the flocks came to drink; and they were in heat when they came to drink. 39 And the flocks conceived before the rods, and brought forth striped, speckled, and spotted. 40 And Ya’akov did separate the lambs, and set the faces of the flocks toward the striped, and all the black in the flock of Lavan; and he put his own flocks by themselves, and did not put them with Lavan’s flock. 41 And it was whenever the stronger flocks did conceive, that Ya’akov laid the rods before the eyes of the flocks in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods. 42 But when the cattle were feeble, he did not put them in. So the feebler were Lavan’s, and the stronger Ya’akov’s. 43 And the man increased exceedingly, and had many flocks, and handmaids, and male servants, and camels, and donkeys.
Glossary
Ya’akov – Jacob
ELOHIM – God
Naftali – Naphtali
Tsilpah – Zilpah
Re’uven – Reuben
Yissakar – Issachar
Zevulun – Zebulun
Yosef – Joseph
YEHOVAH – The Lord
Lavan – Laban
Where the Aleph-Tavs occur
Verse 4: And she gave to him את Bilhah her maidservant for a wife. And Ya’akov went in to her.
Verse 9: When Leah saw that she had left bearing, she took את Tsilpah her maidservant, and gave her to Ya’akov for a wife.
Verse 11: And Leah said, “Fortune.” And she called את his name Gad.
Verse 13: And Leah said, “I am happy, for the daughters will call me blessed.” And she called את his name Asher.
Verse 15: And she said to her, “Is it a small matter that you have taken את my husband? And would you take away my son’s mandrakes also?” And Rachel said, “Therefore he will lie with you tonight for your son’s mandrakes.”
Verse 21: And afterwards she bore a daughter, and called את her name Dinah.
Verse 22: And remembered ELOHIM את Rachel, and ELOHIM listened to her, and opened את her womb.
Verse 24: And she called את his name Yosef, and said, “YEHOVAH will add to me another son.”
Verse 25: And it was when had born Rachel את Yosef, that Ya’akov said to Lavan, “Send me away, that I may go to my own place, and to my country.
Verse 26: Give me את my wives and את my children, for whom I have served you, and let me go. For you know את my service which I have done.”
Verse 29: And he said to him, “You know את how I have served you, and את how your livestock was with me.
Verse 35: And he removed that day את the male goats that were striped and spotted, and all the female goats that were speckled and spotted, and every one that had some white in it, and all the black among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons.
Verse 36: And he set 3 days’ journey between himself and Ya’akov; and Ya’akov fed את the flocks of Lavan remaining.
Verse 38: And he set את the rods which he had pealed before the flocks in the gutters in the watering troughs when the flocks came to drink; and they were in heat when they came to drink.
Verse 41: And it was whenever the stronger flocks did conceive, that laid את Ya’akov the rods before the eyes of the flocks in the gutters, that they might conceive among the rods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

KJV Only?

The Revelation of the Aleph Tav